As I have already spent the last few years putting together and painting my still unfinished AWI collection I thought I would slowly share it with you all. I will be photographing and adding notes on the various regiments I have already painted. I will also give you some notes on the uniform details and standards I have painted as well as giving tips on painting and modelling.
1/71st Highland Regiment
I have always had a thing for the celtic element of the British armed forces and feel that the celtic impetous and ferocity combined with the Germanic efficiency of the army is what has lead us from victory to victory in the field. I was looking forward to painting the highland regiments with kilts and tartan everywhere. My intial collection was to be put together to represent the armies partaking in the Carolina campaign during 1780-81. The problem was that after careful research I found that the kilt was ditched in favour of good old fashioned trews. This regiment took me a couple of days to put together and I was pleased with its outcome (even though tartan was scarce). I undercoat all my models in black and mainly use the layering method when painting. However I do use inks, washes and glazes where I need to. The flag was made from A4 paper painted and glued to the pole. I then bent it to shape and covered the lot in watered down PV in three coats. This makes the flag go rigid. I also spray varnished the models once they were mounted on the bases. The bases were covered in pva and sand and then painted black and dry brushed.
Lee's Legion Horse
I had problems when putting together this unit as there were no models (of sufficient quality) on the market. After researching the uniform I found it was similar to the British Legion. Although I like the Front Rank models I dont feel they fit in with Perry's very well as they do tend to be slightly more chunky in appearance. I decided that instead I would take the US Dragoon models from Foundry and use green stuff and a modelling knife to try and get the appearance I was looking for. I first trimmed the facings and cuffs from the model and used green stuff smooth out the jeackets. I then removed most of the helmet, just leaving a skull cap on the figure. I then added a turban and crest. I think they came out quite well. Unfortunately the Perry brothers then released the BL cavalry!!! Nevermind. Still, at least they are fairly unique...