Translate

Sunday 26 May 2013

10mm Napoleonics

My new big project (along with my 10mm AWI, Red Scorpion Space Marines and 28mm Italian Wars) is my 10mm Napoleonics.  Since the Perry's have released their plastic range of 28mm Napoleonics I have been frothing to do more Napoleonic Wargaming.  The period is one that I have a huge interest in and gamed intensively ten or fifteen years ago.  however it has been left on the sidelines for many a year due to my interest in other areas, namely the AWI.  I wanted to get back into it in a big way but one of the main reasons I have been so reticent to do so has been rules (and of course the huge amount of painting time to do big battles in 28mm).  I was lucky enough last year to be invited by one of my friends to play a re-fight of Quatre Bras and even luckier to be given Picton's Division.  I was not so over joyed when I was told we were going to be using Napoleonic Principles of War.  I have had this rule set on my shelf for fifteen years and did not have a high opinion of them.

However, this was a Napoleonic game, a rare and exciting prospect and I thought I would give them a chance.  The main reason I did not like them initially is that I hate brigade level games where the brigade is the tactical unit and I hate lots of paperwork during games.  NPOW uses both of these mechanisms (well actually its tactical unit is the regiment).  The game was in fact awesome.  Apart from the crossing off of boxes on well organised force sheet I didn't have a bad word to say about them.  The rules are slick, fun and more important feel right.  I love the fact that it takes into account the different fighting and command styles of each army and represents beautifully national characteristics in way that isn't just +1 if your British in line.

I have decided to put my forces together differently to my friend who used one battalion to represent the two or three battalions within Pictons Division.  Instead my units will represent each battalion historically within one unit.  This shown below with the French Line Regiment.  As you can see the three stands make up one unit on the table, but each battalion is represented within the one unit.  The two Cuirassier units will also be three stands each and each stand will represent one cavalry regiment to make one unit represent a cavalry brigade.  I hope I'm not being too confusing.  Anyways, these figures are Pendrakens fantastic new Danube 1809 range of figures.  They are every bit as good as the new AWI range and I love them.  I am not a fan of the rest of Pendrakens Napoleonic ranges and I hope soon they will release more figures to fill in the gaps (PRUSSIANS AND RUSSIANS PLEASE DAVE!!!)

A single French Line unit for NPOW of three French battalions (or a Regiment)

A single Battalion stand

...and from the back.

The unit in battle line.

French Cuirassier Regt,

Austrian Cuirassier Regt.  It will soon be two bases bigger to represent a Heavy Cavalry Brigade in game.

No comments:

Post a Comment